8/5/08

Day 17

August 5. There have been days this trip where nothing seemed to go right. Well, this was one of those almost perfect days where just about everything seemed to go perfectly right.

The HD shop opened at 8:30, so I got there at 7:45 to make sure I'm first in line. About 8:10, a guy on a dresser pulls up out back (at what turned out to be the service entrance). I scoot over there and ask him if he's a customer or mechanic (so he knows I'm there first, either way) and low and behold, it's the owner. I tell him my story, he says bring the bike around, and within 5 minutes someone's working on the bike. I'm out of there at 9:02! When was the last time something like that ever happened!

And the weather was perfect, cool in the morning and warm enough in the afternoon to take off my jacket. The ride was fantastic (all 529 miles), especially the afternoon and evening I spent in Jasper and Banff parks. These parks should be on your bucket-list of rides.

Here's what you guys are missing:


And here's the proof that I was there:


Because of the late start, I pushed into the evening (actually until after 8:00), passing up some rooms at several hot spring resorts, that looked awful expensive. I finally got out of civilization and found a roadside family restaurant where I asked about motels. Oh no, they said, the closest motels are two hours down the road. Had I done it to myself again.? No I hadn't! 25 miles down the road, in Skookumchuck, BC (honest to god, that's the name, even though it sounds like a possible third option to the old swallow or spit debate), there appears a campground/motel. Ooo, we've been in this movie, haven't we? I envision another muskrat hole. But no! The motel is a strip of 6 rooms in a brand new building, one of the best rooms I've had, certainly better than any of the chains I've stayed at. And they have wireless Internet, so I can rub it in!

Life is good!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Way gross.

So glad things are going well!