8/3/08

Day 15

August 3. Oh my. Last night, at the Hilton, I noticed that my back tire was getting pretty thin. I need a new one. But distracted by all that luxury, I forgot to look up a Harley Dealer and didn't remember until I was well under way, actually 80 miles past Prince George, BC, where there is a dealer. I got out my tour guide and the next nearest was close t0 500 miles away, through Jasper National Park (all mountains). Now, the tread wear lines are showing (I never had a tire get that bad). So I say to myself, "Self, you better get your ass back to Prince George." I do (so that means 160 wasted miles). But the Dealer ain't open, even though the book says they work Sundays. Hey, they ain't even open tomorrow! Turns out this is "Long August Weekend," a special Canadian holiday, where lots of places shut down for three days. Life can't be that interesting when you have to have a holiday because it's August.

While I'm pondering options in the parking lot, another rider comes up and is also disappointed that the shop isn't open. Turns out he's a traveler too, but from Alberta, not so far away. He looks at the tire and says he'd keep going, just stay out of the rain (like that's a choice). Then he says there's lots of people to help you out if you get in trouble. Yeah, like when you drive over a cliff, because the back tire blew they can put your body parts in plastic bags and carry them up the mountain.

I ask him what his problem is. Front brake caliber is leaking brake fluid. Not good, I say. Naw, he says, I don't need the front brake, he says, as he rides off. I decided to ignore his advice about pushing on.

I've checked into a hotel (somewhat better accommodations than last night), prepared to wait until Tuesday to get a tire. I got some clothes washed and rested up a bit. I found a motorcycle shop that works on Harleys. I'm going to call him tomorrow to see if he'll be open. (Hope he's not another Nick.)

The real shame of this is that it's sunny (all day) and in the 70s, the first nice day for a long time now. And with this extra delay, I may not make Sturgis. Oh well. At least I got in 271 miles of good ride.

BTW: The next room after last night's find was a hundred miles down the road. Good thing I took it.

No comments: