8/3/08

Day 14

August 2. Is it worth the cold and the rain? I think so. Here’s what I woke up to this morning:


This was a sandwiched day. It started out in mountains and sunshine. But as I rode, I started getting little spritzes of rain, then bigger spritzes, and after a while, on goes the raingear. Just in time for pouring down spritzes in buckets. But then later on, the sun came out again, just about the time I was leaving the Alaska Highway to head for Jasper Park in Alberta. And what a ride that was, a curving ride through hills and along a wide river. One rest stop overlooked a broad valley, with hills off in the distance. A great motorcycle ride. And we finished back in the Canadian Rockies.

Due to misreading the map at the end of the day, I had to take a room on the road I was on or detour 20 miles to the next down. Here’s where I ended up.

At the back of this lot:

The first thing I noticed entering the room is that the bed only had a mattress, laid right on the bed frame, no springs. There was no TV hookup, but there was a TV. I was entitled to one DVD to watch that evening (I declined, being too tired). The bathroom mirror was leaning on the wall, on the floor. There were no pillow cases, but when I asked, the owned got me two pillows with decorative covers. "I don't want something somebody has slept on," I objected. "No no, these clean. No use." (Why have all the cute characters on this trip been Chinese?) There was no soap. The place was mustier than a fruit cellar.

But the water was hot (even though it took me a few minutes to figure out the hot and cold faucets had been reversed, and the heaters worked. And they had given me a complimentary bottle of water (which did prompt me to ask if the tap water was safe to drink: "Oh yes, very good").

I slept better than I had since I left home. Go figure.....

No comments: