7/26/08

Day 7

July 26. This has to be up there as one of the best half-dozen days of motorcycling I've had in my life. The Canadian Rockies rule!


Pretty nice roads for the first part of the day, even in the mountains. And good enough roads after that. Big sweeping turns, not too many tight curves around hills. Some construction. (And that pesky gravel, again.) A shorter ride because of the sightseeing and the lower speed: 329 miles to West Haven, Yukon.

I talked to a young fellow on his way back with a crew, all on off-road BMWs (very strange), who said that the road the rest of the way was pretty good except for some "gnarly" stretches 50 miles both ways from the Alaska border. I'm not sure whether that is encouraging or not.

The bike is holding up well. On some days it's been burning a little oil, and I think it has to do with running regular gas. There are long stretches here where that's all there is, so it is what it is.

Lots of wildlife along the side of the road. Saw elk, buffalo, a bear, and some mountain sheep, all just moseying along, not a bit skittered by the bike. I stopped for some, but only slowed down for the bear. I didn't want him getting amorous with my motorcycle.



And a final photo, just to rub it in.

No comments: